REGISTRATION IS OPEN FOR THE 2015 SEASON
CLICK HERE TO PRINT A REGISTRATION FORM
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER ONLINE
CLICK HERE FOR LEAGUE TIMELINE
FINAL EVALUATION DAY IS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 10:30-NOON
ALL PLAYERS MUST BE EVALUATED AND SIZED FOR A UNIFORM!
You may come any time between 10:30 and noon. Evaluations usually take 15-20 minutes depending on the number of people waiting.
WEST COUNTY UPWARD BASKETBALL
West County Upward Basketball is in its 13th year, existing to promote character and self-esteem in every child, while teaching sportsmanship, athletic skills, and respect for authority in every situation. We do this by providing equal playing time for every player, separate leagues for boys and girls (except Kindergarten), a one-hour practice and game each week of the season.
Upward basketball is open to the community for boys and girls, kindergarten through 6th grade. Skill evaluations are conducted prior to team assignments to insure evenly matched teams are formed. Every child is given an opportunity to play at least half of the game, regardless of his or her abilities. Registration begins in September; evaluations in October and team assignments are in November. Practices start in December. Eight league games are played beginning in January. Adult and teen volunteers are used for coaching, refereeing, teaching, record keeping, organizing, and other tasks.Upward Basketball is an evangelistic sports ministry designed to promote community outreach, develop volunteer leadership, and share the love of Christ with children and their families, using something as simple as a basketball.
Upward Mission Statement
Upward is committed to equipping believers to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with unlimited children through sports ministry.
The purpose of Upward Sports Ministries is to fulfill God's vision that He planned long ago by promoting:
- Salvation - To share the love of Jesus Christ with everyone involved in an Upward ministry.
- Character - To help every child grow as Jesus did; spiritually, physically, mentally and socially.
- Self-esteem - To help every child grow in their understanding and enjoyment of sports.
- Basketball continues to be America’s most popular team sport having nearly 40 million players nationwide
- More than 7.5 million 6-11 year olds participate in basketball nationally
- 29.2% of basketball players also play soccer
*Source: 2004 Sports Participation in America Report, Sporting Goods Manufacturers Assoc.
Why Is Upward Basketball Different?
Upward Basketball offers a break from the norm. The primary focus of Upward is to develop the winner in EVERY child, not just a few. By keeping this goal in mind, we are able to build a league that promotes salvation, character, and self-esteem in all who participate through:
- Keeping sportsmanship and competitiveness in proper perspective by not maintaining league standings in any division
- Maximizing the family schedule by having only one hour of practice and one game each week
- Equipping coaches and referees to minister by providing extensive teaching tools and resources
- Providing opportunities to promote other church ministries to all participants and their families
- Allowing the coach to focus on ministering to children and their families, instead of game strategy, by having a set substitution system where all players are allowed equal playing time and equal opportunity for improvement.
- Encouraging each player with a game day award following every game
- Maximizing ministry opportunities by exposing players to Scripture-based devotions during each practice and spectators to halftime testimonies each game day.
- Providing opportunities to see changed hearts and lives among children, family members, and volunteers who experience an Upward ministry.
- Building toward a harvest time at Awards Night where participants and parents are given an opportunity to respond to the Gospel.
Click HERE for the Official Upward Sports Website
Children's Ministry Leader